Thursday, November 29, 2012

So... mouse traps work

Think us inhumane if you want, but we are down one mouse in our apartment with no indication of others. The senior pastor sponsored some mouse traps for us and they worked quite nicely. I did not care for the couple noises I heard following the snap, but luckily my dear one came home and took care of it so I didn't have to look at the dead little mouse.

The insomnia returned a couple days ago, of course this occurred right after telling my mom that I was sleeping better and that I was getting plenty of rest. I dread the nights now because not only am I not sleeping, but I often feel like I'm about to throw up and that is when I notice cramping/false labor. And then I get all excited/scared and then I don't sleep even more. Then I eat. Vicious cycle.

This internship came with a Christmas tree and some decorations so we put that up on Monday. It is very small, but that's okay. It's still festive and provides tree glow, which is nice considering we are down to about 6 hours of daylight. That feels optimistic though, the sun is never very high in the sky and it's always in the south so it doesn't ever really feel like real daytime.


Alright. We are officially at 39 weeks. Baby is due next Thursday. In case we don't (read: hopefully we won't) make it to week 40, I decided to take pictures this week. The one has a little shadow to it so the belly looks even bigger but oh well. At this point it just doesn't matter. This week you get front and side view. There is a smile on my face, but you can probably tell that I'm really not happy. I'm not sad either, I'm just done. (Sweater brought  to you by Kristin T. Thanks friend!)



I mentioned last time that I was hoping to discuss Bob Smith's Minnesota Christmas Trees. Well, I wasn't able to get over there to get a picture, but this is the name of the closest Christmas tree vendor. I don't know if he imports them, just thinks Minnesota trees give a Christmassy vibe, or it's called this because its close to Minnesota Drive (one of the main roads here). Whatever it is, it is fun.

Late night TV taught me that Alomune is great for increasing your immune system because it comes from the Minnesota Larch tree, and everyone knows in Minnesota you need to have a strong immune system. Yep, that's what I learned. I didn't even know there was a Minnesota Larch tree. I feel I don't know anything anymore.

In other Minnesota news, UAA (University of Alaska Anchorage) is playing St. Cloud State in hockey in their next game. Do you see how it's tricky to get through a day without hearing about Minnesota? 

The other day NDSU was up here for a basketball tournament and the girls did not do well. It was fun watching the highlights though, because NDSU and UAA have the same school colors so it was very pretty. I'm not a huge basketball fan.

I forgot to drop some nature knowledge on ya'll last time (yes, that sentence just happened). Do you ever wonder why polar bears look so much whiter in the arctic than they do at the zoo? This is partially due to the fact that their fur is not white, it is transparent and pigment-free and scatters and reflects visible light. They look whitest when they are clean and in the sunlight in the snow.

Dan and I are going out for dinner tonight- one last time before little guy gets here. We have a coupon for Siam Cuisine, so it should be pretty inexpensive too. Then just a couple errands and we are really ready for dude to arrive. For real. Get out, get out, get out.

No comments:

Post a Comment