Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Many pictures and a small commercial commentary

Every community has its interesting commercials. Before I talk about ones in Anchorage I need everyone to be aware of Chuck Testa. This is old news I know, but everyone needs to know. Anchorage seems to have a disproportional amount interesting commercials. I have mentioned some before. Mattress Ranch always has some gems. And although this isn't the Excalibur Sports commercial we saw on TV, this gives you a taste of what they are like. Dan and I have really come around on Worthington Ford and if we needed to buy a car up here, we would go get a "four before" (4x4) from him. There is also a Roto Rooter commercial that couldn't be newer than 1985 and a car mechanic who claims that you wouldn't let you health insurance pick your doctor so why let your car insurance dictate where you take your car? Oh wait, health insurance almost always has some say in where you go to the doctor.


There is one commercial for an RV place that says "RV Trek" and actually uses the names Captain Kirk and Spock. Now, I don’t know much about copyright law, but I think that is pushing it a bit. A couple days ago I posted on Facebook that the rest of the country doesn't pay enough attention to things that happen in Alaska, but maybe that’s why they can get away with things like that commercial. Also, it bothers me how some people up here say the “lower 48.” Aren't all the other states lower than Alaska? Maybe I missed something. I do enjoy how when they leave Alaska they say they are going outside. That is humerous.



Like all of you in Minnesota, we are apparently having a slow spring. Dan and I have no frame of reference, but that is what the folk are saying.  We had a goopy snow on May 4 but none of it stuck. It has been nice for a few days now and today it is absolutely gorgeous.


Oskar is five months old. He can kind of sit (see pictures below for what happened next) and he can roll over both ways. Athough he has only done from back to front once and figured out front to back the next day and does that all the time. Call me selfish for no longer nursing Oskar, but I am so much happier now. Oskar didn't even seem to care that we were done. I think he noticed that something was different for a couple days, but he’s totally fine now. Devouring rice and oatmeal cereal has become a beloved past time of his, as has eating naked. We have bibs, but he just chomps on them while eating so they get a bit in the way. He does enjoy having both hands in his mouth while eating and when I finally pry them away he rubs them all over his belly. Meal time has gotten significantly messier.





I celebrated my Alaska birthday last Friday with a delicious steak. Some of my wonderful friends called me and sang happy birthday to me and Dan let me sleep in. It was a pretty good day. As a present we decided to take some of our tax return and buy me a fancy camera. I absolutely love it but it makes me feel like an idiot. I just need to remember everything I learned in my photography class over ten years ago and I will be good to go.
 
Fist bump?
Last weekend I had significant issues with either my blood pressure or blood sugar. I have no idea what that was about but it seems to be better now. It was dangerous enough getting light headed while pregnant, but when it happens suddenly while I’m holding Oskar I find it especially uncool.

If only I would have had my fancy camera...
Saw another moose the other day just chilling in someone’s yard. It laid down for about half an hour and just sat. It was very weird watching a moose lay down. They are more graceful than one would think.


5 comments:

  1. Love the gorgeous photos of Oskar.....I'm so glad he is not crying anymore. :)
    Mom Nelson

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness, Oskar is a cutie patootie! Happy first Mothers Day. I think you are doing fantastic. I didn't have a clue when Ryan was born and was a wreck for the first year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I definitely need to see more Oskar pictures. He has such a cute smile!

    ReplyDelete
  4. 1. That child of yours is so stinking cute!

    2. I love Oskar's MN onesie. I wish it came in my size.

    3. Your new fancy camera takes really nice photos.

    4. I'm really looking forward to seeing you guys when you get home!

    LOVE!
    eclp.

    ReplyDelete