Tuesday, August 21, 2012

What time is it? Alaska Time!


Compared to my past entries about traveling adventures, this post may seem dull.  It’s just normal life stuff.  Here is a picture of a hole in a rock and a cloud on a mountain to satisfy any scenery cravings:


     We moved in to our apartment yesterday.  It’s nice to have our own space, but being that it’s furnished by an 80 year old and contains none of our stuff it’s hard to see it ever really feeling like my place.  It is a very nice apartment though.  Giant sized rooms compared to our last place.  The kitchen has a full-sized gas oven and range and you can’t touch opposite walls at the same time!  We have a dining area, a large living room with a futon and a couple chairs, and a TV with free cable.  Their cable package up here is huge by the way- it is something like 150 channels.  No internet yet though, so we need to figure that out.  The bedroom is huge- big enough that we should be able to just put up a room divider when the baby comes and reaches the point that he needs a separate room.  Also plenty of clothing storage, which is definitely something we’re not used to.
     It looks like we’re going to need to buy some kitchen towels, and we had to get a can opener.  I’m sure some other things will be added to the list.  What kind of fully furnished kitchen comes with NO kitchen towels?  Very weird.  Oh well, I’m sure we need more anyway.  Overall, the place is great; we even have access to a laundry room.  The land lord lady seems very nice and has already been more helpful than the person we worked with over the three years we stayed at our last place.  To do that though all she needed to do was give us keys to the front door, so I guess the bar was set pretty low. 
     I found a doctor, I think, and will be seeing her on September 10th.  I’m still working on all the insurance crap so hopefully I’ll have that figured out soon.  I’ll have my glucose test that day which I am REALLY not looking forward to because my body hates sugar, but I don’t need to fast for it so maybe it will go okay.  Someone in the general public finally acknowledged my pregnancy the other day without me bringing it up as the reason I’m not ordering a beer at a brewery.  So, at five and a half months, I finally look a little bit pregnant.
     I still haven’t adjusted to the time change so I wake up starving and ready to go at about 7:30.  I realize that that is a decent time, but then I end up needing about 2 naps during the day which is just stupid.  Dan started his job today so I was able to hang out with him a bit before he went to work because of this time zone nonsense.
     We keep seeing reminders of people we know all over.  One of our waitresses was a shorter, brunette Bobbi Jo with the same voice and eyes, we saw a West who had let himself go a bit, and we heard Eternal Flame which of course made us think of Kristin.  It was neat.
     I was going to write a dream down here, but discovered it was not interesting until the end.  I was riding a bike to get home, which is common enough, but I was in some country in Central America and all I had to do was get through Mexico and a couple other countries but I knew I had to avoid Columbia (geography skills aren’t great in dreamland apparently).  Luckily I made it through five countries (each about a block big, which was good for me on my little bike), narrowly avoided being shot at in the parking lot in Mexico, and made it safely to the Cedar Grove neighborhood, conveniently located just north of the Mexican border.  This was especially strange because I thought I was heading home and I haven’t lived there in 16 years.

1 comment:

  1. Honored that you thought of me. And glad they play such excellent music in Alaska.

    ReplyDelete